Piper & Leaf Mulling Spices are finally here and they’re truly something special! Grab a bag and brew something delicious for your friendsgiving dinner, holiday parties, and family gatherings this year. You can brew a hot, unique beverage that’ll be the talk of the party. See how easy we made it!
Below I’m gonna walk you through brewing a batch of mulled apple cider! This recipe makes a half gallon of cider, so you’ll be able to do this five times with one bag of mulling spices. 🙂 Here’s what you need!
- Piper & Leaf Mulling Spices (of course)
- 2 Quarts of your favorite apple cider*
- 1/4 Cup of dark brown sugar (if you like your cider extra sweet)
- A large pot, a ladle, and some mugs!
*Psst – you can use this recipe with wine instead of cider to make a mulled wine! Try out whichever appeals to you.
Once you’ve got all your ingredients and supplies together, you’re ready to get down to the fun part! It’s time to start brewing.
- Pour all 2 Quarts of apple cider into your large pot and set the burner to medium heat
- While the cider heats up, get your mulling spices ready! Pull the bag of spices out of the muslin (as shown in the first picture)
- Set aside 2 or 3 large ingredients to use as a garnish! We included big slices of oranges, apples, and some cinnamon sticks just for this purpose
- Heap 3 Tablespoons of mulling spices into the empty muslin bag – you’re going to use it as an infuser!
- Cinch the muslin bag shut and seal up the rest of your mulling spices! You’ll want to keep the rest of the spices fresh for future batches
- If desired, stir in the 1/4 Cup of dark brown sugar once the cider is warm enough. Make sure it all dissolves so you don’t get any sugar stuck to the bottom of the pot
- Once your cider is hot, reduce the heat to a simmer (before it starts boiling!!)
- Place the muslin bag into the cider (like a giant tea bag) and throw in your garnish pieces so they can steep with the rest
- Allow the spices to simmer for at least 20 minutes to get the fullest flavor! This is my favorite part because the aroma of the mulling spices fills the kitchen with a warm and comforting scent
- After 20 minutes, you can remove the bag (if you’d like) or leave it in so your mulled cider gets stronger even while it’s being served
All that’s left is to fill everyone’s mug with a ladle full of delightful cider and enjoy!!
When you’ve finished the batch, be sure to empty and wash the muslin bag so you can use it to steep your next several batched of mulling cider. 🙂 Fun fact – all of our muslin bags can be used as infusers this way! We screen-print our muslin bags by hand with a non-toxic ink so you can always use one as a tea strainer if you’re traveling and in a pinch.